Dr T Colin Campbell Professor Emeritus at Cornell University and the top nutritional biochemist in the world today, says that the only diet proven (with peer revued research published research to back it up), to correct obesity is a WHOLE FOOD PLANT BASED diet. He adds that when you are eating the right foods, no matter how much you eat , you will not gain excess, unhealthy weight.
REMOVE FOODS KNOWN TO INTERFERE WITH THE ENDOCRINE FUNCTION.
Some of these are:
Alcohol suppresses your body’s ability to burn fat. Just 3ozs of alcohol can reduce your body’s fat burning ability by one third. 3ozs is about 106ml (or a half a glass) of wine.
Replace alcohol with natural fruit and vegetable juices and spring water.
CAFFEINE (replace with herb teas), refined sugar, artificial sweeteners (replace both with raw honey), and mustard oil (in onion & garlic) are just some of the few food substances that will upset your endocrine system
Caffeine can slow down endocrine function and that will slow down your metabolism and increase weight.
Dr Neal Barnard in September 2015 stated that research done at Yale university shows that a high fat diet increases the size and quantity of fat molecules in the cells and this reduces the quantity of mitochondria in the cells and these mitochondria produce energy in the cell and this energy has a direct impact on your metabolism and weight.
So he advocates eating no added fats to the diet like olive oil and absolutely no animal fats and small portions of plant fat like ¼ – ½ an AVOCADO or ¼ cup RAW NUTS OR SEEDS OR 3-6 OLIVES and 1 Tbsp. of FLAX OIL or a blend daily.
Then include the following as part of your lifestyle:
EAT THE RIGHT FATS!
ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS (EFA’s) have many functions throughout the body. They are involved in:
• Energy production. In a study with athletes in Denmark, we showed that within one month of giving athletes one tablespoon per 50 pounds of body weight per day of an oil blend with an n-3(Omega 3): n-6(Omega 6) ratio of 2:1, stamina increased by up to 40 or even 60%. Athletes could exercise longer before reaching exhaustion, recovered more quickly from fatigue, could exercise more often without over-training, healed quicker from injuries, built muscle faster, and had less joint pain.
Energy improvement is also seen in non-athletes and older people. The EFA blend also improves mental stamina.
• Brain Function. In our work with the blended oil, we have seen consistent improvements in brain function, and research with EFAs from other sources has also shown brain benefits. Among these are elevated mood, lifted depression, increased calmness, better handling of stress, less hyperactivity, better focus, better mental processing, faster learning, increased intelligence, better concentration, and improved motor coordination.
Among the mentally ill, EFAs can decrease hallucinations in schizophrenics, elevate mood, lift depression, improve symptoms in bipolar and obsessive-compulsive disorder, and improve brain function in Alzheimer’s disease and autism.
EFAs are also required for vision.
• Skin, Hair, and Nails. EFAs are required for healthy skin and hair, and are required for normal nail growth. They moisturize skin and prevent dryness.
• Cancer. N-3 EFAs lower cancer risk.
• Cardiovascular Disease (CVD). N-3 can decrease most CVD risk factors, including high triglycerides (blood fats), blood pressure, platelet stickiness, fibrinogen, and lipoprotein(a). N-3 also keep the inside of our arteries smooth. N-3 and n-6 keep the heart beat regular.
• Diabetes. EFAs are required for insulin function. N-3 make diabetics more insulin-sensitive.
• Weight Management. N-6 slightly and n-3(flax-seed oil) more effectively help reduce fat production in the body. They also increase fat burning and heat production in the body, and shift the body from burning glucose to burning fats. Saturated, monounsaturated, and trans- fatty acids do not help to manage weight. Sugar triggers increased fat production in the body. Starch can also lead to overweight.
• Digestion. EFAs improve gut integrity, decrease gut inflammation, and decrease ‘leaky gut’ that can lead to allergies.
• Allergies. EFAs reduce symptoms of allergies. They work best if digestive enzymes rich in protein-digesting protease are also used.
• Inflammation. N-3 reduce inflammation. Digestive enzymes are also helpful.
• Autoimmune Conditions. N-3 dampen the over-response of the immune system in autoimmune conditions. Again, enzymes are also helpful.
• Injury. EFAs speed the healing of injuries.
• Bone Minerals. N-3 improve bone mineral retention, thereby inhibiting the development of osteoporosis.
• Stress. EFAs, by optimizing serotonin production, improve response to stress. People report feeling calmer, getting stressed less easily, dealing with stressful situations more calmly, and losing their temper less often.
• Sleep. EFAs improve sleep in some people.
• Hormones. EFAs improve hormone functions. Hormone levels may decrease, yet the effects of hormones remain normal. EFAs thereby ease the work load of glands.
• Organs. EFAs are required for liver and kidney function.
• Reproduction. EFAs are required for sperm formation, the female cycle, and pregnancy.
How do you know when you are lacking essential fats?
When you continually crave savoury foods like cheese, meat, fried chips or foods and other foods containing heated, processed or animal fats.
To summarise, you need essential fatty acids for increased energy and mental health as well as skin, hair and nail health. Omega 3 and 6(EFA’s) can help to protect you from cancer, auto-immune and cardio-vascular diseases, osteoporosis and allergies. Essential fatty acids also keep the digestive system healthy and can help with weight management. With regard to injuries, they reduce inflammation and speed up healing. EFA’s also improve hormone and liver and kidney function and are needed for reproduction.
Make sure your diet is at least 75 – 80 % alkaline forming by following God’s natural principles, starting with the 5 STEPS TO ABUNDANT HEALTH http://www.thinkhealth.co.za/5-head-pointers-to-abundant-health/on my BLOG menu.
Take Barleylife with kelp (on the menu under PRODUCTS). Kelp contains Iodine and lack of Iodine can result in a sluggish metabolism, because the thyroid gland requires Iodine to regulate your metabolism. Barleylife also contains a vast range of vital nutrients in a very usable form and is extremely alkaline forming. Remember the more alkaline forming your foods the more efficient the conversion of fuel into energy and the more correct your body weight will be.
The water-soluble components in barley leaf extract, has been shown to be very effective in lowering or balancing blood sugar. Which would benefit diabetics and hypoglycemic, in turn helping stabilize your appetite and weight as a result.